1895 - Watts Hospital opens with 22 beds.
1901 - Lincoln Hospital begins serving the African American community.
1921 - New, expanded hospitals for both Watts and Lincoln hospitals.
1935 - Sample Forbus is hired to set the pace at Watts; William Rich begins his tenure at Lincoln.
1940s - First bond referendum is approved by the community to add beds and improved services at both hospitals.
1950s - A time of growth, plus adding of new services.
1960 - Both hospitals need expansion, but the $15-million bond referendum is defeated.
1964 - Watts Hospital officially integrates by hiring African American staff and physicians and treating patients. Lincoln, which has an integrated medical staff, opens its doors to white patients.
1968 - $20-million bond referendum passes that ends the two separate facilities and brings them together under one roof.
1971 - Watts Hospital merges with the newly formed Durham County Hospital Corporation.
1971- Lincoln Community Health Center opens.
June 19, 1972 - Groundbreaking of Durham County General Hospital at its present location.
1973 - Lincoln Hospital joins Durham County Hospital Corporation.
October 3, 1976 - Durham County General Hospital opens.
October 10, 1976 - First patients are transferred to Durham County General Hospital.
1976 - Durham County Hospital Corporation takes responsibility for emergency management services (EMS) for Durham County.
1975 - Foundation for Better Health is created.
1979 - Health Services Center is built.
1980 - George Washington Watts Memorial Building opens new EMS facility opens; an addition is added in 1988.
1982- Lincoln Community Health Center moved to its current Fayetteville Street location.
1985 - Oakleigh, a substance abuse and detoxification center, opens.
1988 - Cardiac catheterization lab opens; new labor and delivery suites are added.
1989 - Open heart surgery unit opens and first open-heart surgery at Durham County General Hospital is performed.
1990 - Name changes to Durham Regional Hospital.
1994 - Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center becomes part of the Durham County Hospital Corporation.
1994 - Major renovations take place, including Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center, lobby, emergency services, operating rooms, and new entrance.
1995 - Center for Women is built.
1998 - Durham County Hospital Corporation forms partnership with Duke University Health System.
1998 - Division of Family Medicine at Duke moves to Durham Regional Hospital.
2000 - CEO Richard Myers retires, and Richard Liekweg is selected as chief executive officer.
2000 - Focus begins on centers of excellence in services including women’s heart, orthopaedics, surgery, cancer, rehabilitation, psychiatry, and primary care services.
2003 - Richard Liekweg resigns from Durham Regional Hospital.
2003 - Select Specialty Hospital opens on the sixth floor of Durham Regional, offering long-term acute care services.
2003 - David P. McQuaid is named chief executive officer.
2005 - Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center is involved in $1.9-million expansion project.
2005 - Durham Regional Hospital begins $2.9-million renovation project to upgrade seven nursing units
2006 - A new intermediate cardiac care unit opens featuring a telemetry hub with state-of-the-art remote cardiac and oxygen saturation and recording, a chest pain center, and a six-bay observation hub with a new cardiac telemetry monitoring system.
2006 - Nursing station renovations continue on patient care floors.
2006 - Durham Regional Hospital celebrates 30 years of caring.
2007 - David P. McQuaid resigns from Durham Regional Hospital.
2007 - Strategic plan is developed to serve as a “road map” for the future of the hospital.
2007 - Watts School of Nursing is expanded and moved to a new location.
2008 - Kerry Watson named chief executive officer.
2008 - An $8.6 million renovation is completed, creating a 22-bed state-of-the-art critical care unit with all private rooms.
2008 - New linear accelerator installed in the radiation oncology clinic.
2008 - A six-room bariatric suite is constructed on the sixth floor and the Duke Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery is converted to a Durham Regional Hospital-based clinic in a newly renovated space in the Health Services Center.
2008 - Two MRIs are upgraded to 16-channel with breast MR and angiography capabilities.
2009 - Unit 4-1 is opened as a 15-bed medical surgical unit, expanding our capacity to care for patients.
2009 - Cardiac catheterization laboratory undergoes full equipment replacement.
2009 - Emergency department is renovated, adding five new treatment rooms, an improved triage area, nurses’ station, and discharge center.
2009 - Labor and delivery triage rooms are renovated to increase space and accommodate additional patient volume. The nurses’ station and waiting area are also upgraded.
2009 - Mammography is upgraded from analog to digital capabilities.
2010 - Two new 64-sliced computed tomography (CT) scanners are installed at the hospital.
2010 - One of the interventional vascular suites is renovated and upgraded with new equipment.
2010 - Critical care unit waiting area is renovated with new televisions, furniture, and wood flooring.