If your family member or friend is a patient, the information here can help you plan your visit and get the most out of your time at Durham Regional Hospital:
- Visiting hours
- Visitor guidelines
- Visitor rights and responsibilities
- Gifts for patients
- Waiting areas
Visitors can be good medicine for patients. Family members and friends are welcome to visit.
However, patient care is our primary concern at Durham Regional Hospital, and in order to enhance the quality of care, specific visiting hours and regulations have been established for each unit to make sure visiting remains beneficial.
Visiting hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. with the following exceptions:
Critical Care/Intensive Care Unit
- Visiting hours will be as flexible as possible while providing care to the patients.
- Call the unit at 919-470-6248 prior to your visit.
- Two visitors at a time are allowed for brief periods. Each visitor must wash his or her hands before and after visitation.
- To maintain patient confidentiality during change of shift, we ask for no visitation from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Children under the age of 12 are not permitted in the critical/intensive care unit.
- Visitation will be suspended for emergencies, new admissions, or at the nurse's discretion.
- Visitation is limited during quiet time. Quiet time is observed between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and from midnight to 4:00 a.m. Lights and televisions will remain off during these times.
- No live flowers or plants or latex balloons are permitted in the unit.
- Cell phones must be off while in the unit.
Labor and Delivery
- Visiting hours are 24 hours a day, seven days a week for two support persons as defined by the mother.
- Visiting hours are Monday through Friday, 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 1:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Only three visitors are allowed per patient at one time in the psychiatry unit.
For your health and recovery, we ask visitors to observe these guidelines:
- People with colds, sore throats, or any contagious diseases should not visit patients.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times and should not be left in the lobby or other areas of the hospital without adult supervision.
- Children under 12 years old are not allowed to visit in isolation rooms.
- We recommend only two visitors per patient at one time.
- Visitors are encouraged to wash their hands before and after visiting a patient.
- Please leave the room when the patient receives a treatment.
- Please check with the patient’s nurse about the overnight visitor policy for your unit.
- Please do not smoke on hospital property. Durham Regional Hospital is a smoke-free facility inside and out.
- Respect and dignity: You have the right to considerate, respectful treatment at all times under all circumstances with recognition to personal dignity.
- Personal safety: You have the right to expect reasonable safety insofar as hospital practices and environment are concerned.
Your Responsibilities as a Visitor
- Hospital rules and regulations: You are responsible for following hospital rules and regulations affecting patient care.
- Respect and consideration: You are responsible for being considerate of the rights of patients and hospital personnel and for assisting in the control of noise, smoking, and visiting hours. You are responsible for being respectful of the property of other persons and of the hospital as we pursue our mission of providing quality health care to our patients.
Visitors should check with the patient’s nurse before bringing gifts of food or drink to patients and to make sure your gift is appropriate. On the intensive care unit please check with the unit regarding any gifts for patients.
An ATM is available on the third level near the main entrance.
There are specially designated lounge areas for visitors on each patient floor and on the main floor in the lobby. Specific waiting areas have been designated for families of patients in the critical care units, the emergency department, and surgery.
The cafeteria at Durham Regional Hospital is located on the first level and is open for:
- Breakfast: 6:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- Lunch: 11:15 a.m. - 1:45 p.m.
- Dinner: 4:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Late night (Sunday through Thursday): 12:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m.
- Snacks and beverages: 6:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Vending machines for snacks and beverages are available on the first floor across from the cafeteria and near the emergency department entrance. They are available 24 hours a day.