Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is similar to computed tomography (CT) because it produces sectional and 3-D images. MRI uses magnetic energy and radio waves instead of x-ray radiation.
During an MRI exam, you lay on a table surrounded by an open-ended magnetic tube. A metal coil is placed above the area being examined. It is like being in a tunnel.
Patients are given a call bell so they are in constant contact with the technologist performing the examination.
With MRI, your body, which is mostly water, behaves like a radio system. Powerful magnetic energy lines up the body's hydrogen ions, which give off a signal similar to a radio frequency.
The technologist "tunes in" to the ion signals with the metal coil, which acts like a receiving antenna. A computer then translates the signals to produce an image.
MRI is particularly effective at showing certain types of cancer, herniated spinal disks, and connective tissue damage such as torn ligaments, rotator cuff tears, infections, tumors, and breast cancer.
Breast MRI Services
Durham Regional Hospital offers both breast MRI and breast biopsy on-site, allowing us to ensure high-quality results with the most accurate diagnosis possible.
- Breast MRI: Our state-of-the-art, high-field magnet, combined with 3-D cad stream technology, delivers fast and accurate breast MRI's. Breast MRI is a good option for women with dense breasts. Other advantages include the capability to image the entire breast, chest wall, and axila without radiation or painful compression.
- MRI-guided suction biopsy: MRI-guided suction biopsy is one of the latest techniques being used for non-palpable lesions. Our biopsy system continuously delivers pain medication during a procedure, reducing anxiety and interruptions.
MRI procedures are offered from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday. To schedule an appointment, call 919-470-5272 and ask for Durham Regional Hospital.
Physicians offering this service include:
- Amaresh, Amar Muniyappa, MD
- Beeson, Donn Kirk, MD
- Bone III, Samuel Nicholas, MD
- Brown, Teresa Truitt, MD
- Cepeda, Christopher Miguel, MD
- Choi, Andrew Inwon, MD
- Cruell, Randy Anthony, MD
- Hidalgo, Hector Jesus, MD
- Lester Jr., James W., MD
- Loehr, Stephen Peter, MD
- Merritt, Ashley Grant, MD
- Pathak, Hemang Jayendra, MD
- Safrit, Hal Dean, MD
- Stoll, Michael P., MD
- Voorhees, Diana, MD
- Yankes, Joseph Robert, MD