Durham Rehabilitation Institute offers a complete continuum of care, from acute inpatient rehabilitation to individually tailored outpatient program. From tying their shoes to climbing the stairs, we help patients restore their independence.
Our state-of-the-art 30-bed facility is located on the seventh floor of Durham Regional Hospital.
Durham Rehabilitation Institute (DRI) provides award-winning comprehensive care in a compassionate yet high tech environment.
The inpatient unit specializes in short term rehabilitation of patients with a wide range of conditions, including, but not limited to:
- Spinal cord injury
- Major multiple trauma
- Total joint replacements
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Neck and back injuries
- Traumatic and acquired brain injury
- Orthopaedic injuries
Patients admitted to Durham Rehabilitation Institute must:
- Require at least two skilled therapies, including physical therapy
- Need and be able to tolerate three hours each day of out of bed therapy
- Require 24 hour rehabilitation nursing and physician medical management
- Have the potential for improvement
- Be able to learn new information
The care team creates an individualized therapy program to meet each patient's needs. We promote health, independence, and the most active lifestyle achievable. Patients and their families receive training, support, and discharge planning assistance.
Each patient's treatment program is led by the rehabilitation physician and program manager. Other team members include:
- Adult nurse practitioner
- Rehabilitation nurses
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Recreational therapists
- Registered dietitians
- Admission coordinators
- Discharge planning nurse
- Social worker
Patients have access to all the medical services available at Durham Regional Hospital and Duke Medicine.
The Durham Rehabilitation Institute is spacious and well equipped, occupying two wings on the top floor of Durham Regional Hospital.
The institute features:
- Large patient rooms, each with television, telephone, Wi-Fi access, and a wheelchair-accessible bathroom with roll-in shower
- State-of-the-art gym, including a suspension walking assistance device and indoor practice car (adjustable to the height of a patient's personal car)
- Practice kitchen with standard and wheelchair accessible equipment
- Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing
- Visi-Pitch, a computerized speech/voice feedback system
- On-site laundry facilities
- Evening and weekend recreational activities, including pet therapy
- Stroke support group
- Community re-entry activities
Durham Rehabilitation Institute was named a Top Performer by the Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation.
DRI was recognized as being in the top 10 percent for patient outcomes when compared to 805 other inpatient rehabilitation facilities across the country. This is the fourth year in a row DRI has received this honor.
For more information about services, or to make or discuss a referral, call 919-470-7217.
Physicians offering this service include: